February 18, 2014

Aftereffects



I was sixteen at the time. My high school ex-boyfriend was constantly getting me to have sex with him. I tried protesting the first few times but he ignored it. It got to the point where I gave up trying and just let it happen. Now I hate myself for not standing up for myself.

I'm too ashamed to tell my parents what my ex-boyfriend did to me, especially because they really liked him. Memories of what happened were triggered this year, and I began to do miserably in all of my classes. Right now I'm barely passing. Socially, I became very quiet. I began mumbling rather than talking and I hardly left my room.




[Note from the editor: This is one of the many anonymous anecdotes and survey responses collected for the dx/dt project that were not used in the film. They are being posted here as contributions to the discussion of sexual violence, relationship abuse, and stalking in the MIT community. Thank you to each of the authors of these posts for your willingness to speak out.]